Tuesday, September 18, 2012


The summer of twenty twelve was definitely one for
the books. Not because I traveled to an exotic place.
I didn't. Not because it was packed with a whole lot
of crazy adventure. It wasn't. I mean, there was some
just not a 'whole lot of crazy.' It was the lack of crazy
and busy that made it memorable. It was unpacking 
the suitcases I'd lived out of for two years while I 
DID pack in the exotic places and whole lot of crazy
adventure. It was moving to a new city, buying a 
couch for my new little home, and simply having
some space. I mean this both literally and figuratively.

As someone who loves people and community and 
who believes in surrounding oneself with good people
and good community, it can be hard at times to realize
and admit that you might need a little bit of solo time.
Ha. Well, I actually didn't do either of those things. 
What happened was that without realizing or admitting 
I needed space, an opportunity arose for me to move.
To a place where I didn't know a single person. 
To a place that I wouldn't have chosen for myself.
To a place where I was going to have a lot of space.

It has turned out to be the best most necessary
change I needed in the season of life I am in. A season 
of stopping. Of ridding distractions and reflecting on life, 
on my journey so far, on where I'd like to go. More than 
that,  the person I want to be. I'm learning how to filter 
the noise of the world. What makes my heart beat fast. How 
precious time is, and how to choose to make it meaningful.

I imagine that when we're born we all have this little
seed planted in our hearts. As we live and grow, with 
every life lesson, the seed sprouts and grows and blooms 
into a tree. Remarkable and unique to each of us, to each 
of our stories. Eventually the tree stops growing taller but 
it's continually changing with the seasons. Sometimes in 
full bloom, other times bare. I'm right where I need to be. 
The past few months have been a season of blooming.

I hope that you give in to the need for some space when
it calls. It's necessary, but not for the long term.
Don't get too comfortable. Don't hang out there.
Just show up. I'll never cease to be amazed at how
incredibly GOOD God is!

Happy blooming sweet people.


No comments:

Post a Comment