Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Guest Blogger: Ms. Layne Eiler


Well hello there fellow creative types. This is the first blog entry and a bit scary since I’m taking on the big task of being the first writer and introducing the topic of creativity. Man, there is so much to talk about but where to begin? Well, for me I have always felt the pull to not just the arts in the classical sense, but nature, beauty, mystery and making something out of nothing. This awakens passion in my heart. I live to create, to explore, to research the world around me that includes fascinating people and sites. I’m sure if you are built this way you know exactly what I mean. Creating is like air being pumped into your lungs, it flows naturally. Ever since I was a child whatever I could get my hands on or feast my eyes upon in the Fashion and art work I was there 100% I don’t want to take up all the time in this blog writing about my accomplishments etc, but as a fellow artist I want to encourage and provoke you to create!


You have something with inside of you that only you can create and express in your own unique way. Do not listen to the self doubt that would keep you bound in fear and lock you up from expressing something beautiful. If there’s one thing that we struggle from as artists it’s comparison/self doubt. If we were accountants or fire fighters would we be comparing our performance next to our peers? Possibly, but I would suggest that artists dissect and analyze themselves and those around them much more then any other sect of society. For artists the “work” that we do is not just simply a mathematic equation or a task performed our art is an extension of our souls. There is something so raw and vulnerable about creating that causes many people to run from the arts and choose a path that seems much “safer” where you don’t have to risk the very essence of who you are being rejected. To create and to share takes boldness especially in a world where imagination is snuffed out at an early age and we are forced to think “sensibly”. If I were to suggest one book that illustrates this point beautifully it would be, Walking on Water By Madeline E’ngle. Madeline E’ngle states, “When we are like little children, with the openness the child has up until the age of school, then we retain our ability to be creators, our willingness to be open, to believe. I need not to belabour the point that to retain our childlike openness does not mean to be childish. Only the mature of us are able to be childlike. And to be able to be childlike involves memory; we must never forget any part of ourselves. As of this writing I am sixty-one years old in chronological numerical statistic. I am sixty-one, and I am also thirty-one, and forty-five, and, and…and. If we lose any part of ourselves, we are thereby diminished. If I cannot be thirteen and sixty-one simultaneously, part of me has been taken away.”


To view any of my work you can go to www.lanyardthinks.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment